Annual Pediatric Health Equity and Inclusion Symposium
Boston Children’s hosts the Annual Pediatric Health Equity and Inclusion Symposium to educate faculty and staff throughout the hospital about the importance of understanding and promoting equitable pediatric health care. This collaborative event is co-sponsored by the Office of Health Equity and Inclusion, the Boston Children’s Hospital Academy for Teaching and Educational Innovation and Scholarship, the Office of Faculty Development, Human Resources, and Nursing and Patient Care Operations.
Past symposia themes
- 2020: Women in Medicine and Science Month
- 2019: Health Equity in Pediatric Subspecialty Care
- 2018: What is Health Equity and How Can We Promote Equitable Pediatric Healthcare?
MSO Visiting Professorship in Health Equity and Inclusion
In recognition of the importance of education about culturally effective pediatric care, the Boston Children’s Hospital Medical Staff Organization made a commitment to sponsor a visiting professorship. The MSO Visiting Professorship in Health Equity and Inclusion is annually in December and brings experts in the field of health equity.
Past visiting professors in health equity and inclusion
- 2020 Visiting Professor: Maria Trent, MD, MPH, FAAP, FSAHM, Chief, Division of Adolescent Young Adult Medicine; Professor of Pediatrics, Nursing, and Public Health, Johns Hopkins University
- 2019 Inaugural Professor: Kevin B. Churchwell, MD, President and Chief Operating Officer, Boston Children’s Hospital (Chief Executive Officer as of April 2021)
Dr. Valerie Ward, Senior Vice President and Chief Equity and Inclusion Officer, speaks at an event during Black History Month.
The Office of Health Equity and Inclusion regularly hosts educational lectures with invited speakers. Our speakers share best practices for advancing culturally effective pediatric care and reducing pediatric healthcare disparities. Recent Grand Rounds speakers include:
- Sherri-Ann M. Burnett-Bowie, MD, MPH, Associate Director, Center for Diversity and Inclusion; Director, Multicultural Affairs, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Tosan O. Boyo, MPH, FACHE, Chief Operating Officer, Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center
- Kirk W. Dabney, MD, MHCDS, Chief Medical Officer for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; Associate Division Chief, Cerebral Palsy Program, Nemours/Alfred I. Dupont Hospital for Children
- Carol Fulp, Chief Executive Officer, Fulp Diversity Consultants
Black History Month Grand Rounds is hosted annually in February during Pediatric Grand Rounds. Past guest speakers include:
- George S.M. Dyer, MD, FACS, Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery; Program Director, Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency, Harvard Medical School; Orthopaedic Upper Extremity Surgeon, Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Paula A. Johnson, MD, MPH, President, Wellesley College
- Andre Churchwell, MD, Senior Associate Dean for Diversity Affairs and Chief Diversity Officer at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Fishbowl Psychiatry Grand Rounds is held annually through the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences. The forum provides education on diversity in mental health care by using literature to discuss psychiatric conditions. This Grand Rounds was first established by Jessica Henderson Daniel, PhD, ABPP, Associate Professor in Psychology in the Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School.
Supporting an inclusive hospital environment
In addition to the Office of Health Equity and Inclusion, several departments, services, and programs throughout Boston Children’s support an inclusive hospital environment. We are proud to partner with many of them, including:
- Interpreter services
- LGBTQ equality
- Spanish Language Navigation
- Nursing/Patient Care
- Department of Medical Education
National collaborations for pediatric health equity
Boston Children’s is a part of national collaborations to advance pediatric health equity and close health care disparities. Our collaborators include: