How we work
At Boston Children’s Hospital, the individual needs of our patients and families are what drive our nursing care.
Our Nursing/Patient Care team strives to provide the highest quality health care, lead research and discovery, educate the next generation of nurse leaders and enhance the health and well-being of children and families near and far.
Our nursing philosophy is shaped by our focus on:
- the primacy of our patients and families
- meaningful, therapeutic relationships&
- excellence in our care delivery, safety practices and attention to patient and family satisfaction
- leadership in pediatric nursing
Through powerful partnerships with patients and families, Boston Children’s nurses and interprofessional teams serve as local, national and global leaders in shaping the science and delivery of safe and high-quality pediatric health care, while nurturing healthy work environments.
Speak and listen respectfully, communicate clearly and respond thoughtfully and promptly to all patient, family and staff needs
Work toward a common purpose in concert with interprofessional colleagues
Achieve the highest standards of performance and quality throughout the care experience
Hold ourselves and each other to high standards of performance and maintain responsibility for our actions
Foster interprofessional collaboration and synthesize clinical and non-clinical perspectives
Create novel and interprofessional approaches to advance the care and experience of patients and families
Our professional practice model
Boston Children’s Nursing Professional Practice Model provides a framework to guide how nurses practice, communicate and develop professionally. It defines what is important to our nurses, describes the environment in which care is delivered, drives future nursing practice, and depicts how our nurses interact with patients and colleagues to provide evidence-based, quality care.
We regularly evaluate our model to ensure it stays aligned with the culture, vision and focus of our hospital and the changing healthcare environment.
- Our model aligns nursing practice with the Nursing/Patient Care mission, vision and values.
- The values that guide our professional practice are driven by our designation as a Magnet organization, which underscores the importance of a culture of collaboration and excellence.
- Our practice is defined by our commitment to quality, leadership, cultivation of a healthy work environment and evidence-based practice.