Diseases and disorders of the brain, spine, and nervous system often involve serious symptoms and call for complex surgical treatments. If your child has been diagnosed with a condition requiring neurosurgery, our team of experienced and caring doctors, nurses, and staff is ready to help.
Here at the Boston Children's Hospital Department of Neurosurgery, our specialists provide advanced clinical care with a focus on using minimally invasive techniques whenever possible.
Our depth of experience in neurosurgery
Boston Children's was the first pediatric neurosurgical service in the world, established in 1929. Our team includes neurosurgeons, nurses, advanced practice providers, anesthesiologists, imaging professionals, child life specialists, and social workers who work together to deliver integrated, personalized care for every child.
Our doctors are involved in scientific research that offers new hope for children with brain, spine, and nervous system disorders. Boston Children’s has developed and refined some of the most influential advances in pediatric neurosurgery, including:
- pial synangiosis, a surgical procedure that relocates healthy blood vessels in the brain to treat moyamoya
- ETV/CPC, an alternative to traditional shunt placement for some children with hydrocephalus and spina bifida
- a minimally invasive treatment for craniosynostosis, which improves outcomes and reduces operating time
In addition, our surgical team employs the latest treatments and techniques, including 3-D printing for surgical planning, which helps ensure our surgeons are prepared for every possibility and improves surgical outcomes. We continue to push the field of neurosurgery forward by conducting innovative research and publishing our results.
Our team treats a wide range of neurological conditions, from the common to the most complex. Specific centers within the Department of Neurosurgery include:
- Brain Injury Center
- Brain Tumor Center
- Cerebral Palsy Program
- Cerebrovascular Surgery and Interventions Center
- Cleft and Craniofacial Center
- Complex Cervical Spine Program
- Epilepsy Center
- Head, Neck and Skull Base Surgery Program
- Hydrocephalus Program
- Maternal Fetal Care Center
- Medulloblastoma Program
- Moyamoya Program
- Neurofibromatosis Program
- Spina Bifida and Spinal Cord Conditions Center
- Tethered Spinal Cord Program
- Vascular Anomalies Center
Why choose the Boston Children’s Department of Neurosurgery?
Here at the Department of Neurosurgery, we consider you and your child integral parts of the care team — not simply recipients of care. We specialize in family-centered treatment, which means that from your first visit, you’ll work with a team of professionals who are committed to meeting your child's medical needs while providing emotional, psychosocial, and educational support for your family.
When you come to the Neurosurgery Department, you’ll meet experienced neurosurgeons who are extensively familiar with children’s developing brains and specially trained to perform surgeries that minimize impact on healthy, surrounding tissue.