The BRIDGES Adult Transition Program is a resource for providers, patients, and families at Boston Children’s Hospital. Patients and families with pediatric-to-adult transition-related concerns are encouraged to ask a member of their care team to consult with us to help provide guidance on adult related medical management, transition readiness, and transfer planning. Care teams from Boston Children’s Hospital, Mass General Brigham, and/or community sites are welcome to reach out. Email the program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who we are
BRIDGES Adult Transition Program (BAT) is a team of physicians, social workers, nurse practitioners, and nurses at Boston Children’s Hospital. We provide a comprehensive inpatient service and ambulatory (including telemedicine) program to support the individual medical and surgical needs of young adults with congenital or acquired pediatric diseases as they transition from pediatric to adult health care.
Why do we exist?
Children with special health care needs (SHCN), including those with formerly life-limiting congenital and pediatric acquired conditions, are living longer and requiring specialized care well into adulthood. Advancement in medicine and surgical techniques allow our patients to survive and thrive as adults. Our service strives to ensure that patients’ adult medical and psychosocial needs are addressed during this time. Together, we are working to strengthen the system by empowering providers, patients, and families to advocate and navigate the “bridge” to an adult medical home.
Multi-disciplinary BRIDGES Service
Members of team include:
- medicine-pediatrics trained physician
- nurse practitioner
- nurse transition coordinator
- social worker
More about the program:
- medical inpatient unit focused on age appropriate care for young adults in a pediatric setting
- consult service with medical and psychosocial expertise provided by multi-disciplinary team
- transition clinic (virtual and/or in person) to help patients/families navigate transition planning and coordination
- ambulatory care partnerships with transitional care support for all departments across Boston Children’s Hospital
To provide a comprehensive program to support the medical and surgical needs of young adults with congenital or acquired pediatric diseases; improve the quality of life by empowering and educating all stakeholders, with an emphasis on their individual needs to ensure a seamless transition from pediatric to adult care.
* — Unfortunately, we cannot provide direct consultation to patients and families outside of Boston Children's Hospital. We strongly encourage patients and families to address transition with their ongoing care teams and have their teams reach out for consultation.